Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 15+ yr old cat has been treated a year ago for

Customer Question

My 15+ yr old cat has been treated a year ago for hyperthyroidism, with radioactive iodine. she seemed better for several months but now is diagnosed with diabetes. she will be started on insulin tomorrow. she got skeletally thin over the last couple months but otherwise seemed okay. I am wondering how long an older cat with diabetes is likely to live?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?
Customer: zetta
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about zetta?
Customer: i told her she is eating/drinking a lot which is why we suspected diabetes. she does not seem to be in any pain and seems well.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If there are no other medical issues, and they are able to get the diabetes under control, there is no reason to believe she can remain regulated and healthy for 2-3 more years. If she does have other medical issues that develop that makes it hard to control the diabetes, then the long term prognosis would be more poor. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Zetta is doing and to see if you have any other questions.