Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Conjunctivitis - chronic. I have human medication gentamicin

Customer Question

conjunctivitis - chronic. I have human medication gentamicin sulfate cre3am 0.1%. Can I use it in his eye?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Toes is 12 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Toes?
Customer: Not really. He is pretty healthy, except for every summer and fall, the conjunctivitis
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

In most cases, veterinarians use the human ophthalmic antibiotic drops and ointments in our patients; these products aren't specially made for dogs or cats since the human varieties work quite well for the most part.

Gentaminin is one such medication which would be safe to use in Toes and is one which I frequently dispense for my patients.

The dose would be a small amount of ointment 3-4 times a day for approximately 7-10 days (or a little longer, if necessary). If the eyes look more red or inflamed the drug is started, then Toes may be having a drug reaction and it should be discontinued.

I hope this helps to reassure you about use of this product for him. Deb