Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

Our cat has a tooth hanging out of her mouth, looks like bad

Customer Question

our cat has a tooth hanging out of her mouth, looks like bad gum's wrapped around it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: our cat has a tooth hanging out of her mouth, looks like bad gum's wrapped around it
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: she is not complaining, just fussing with the tooth
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: well, her tooth is hanging from looks like maybe diseased gums
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Pinky Little, 8-10
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: pinky little
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: her eyes leak brownish and she hates being held
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

If the tooth is hanging out there is likely disease in the gums or tooth root. With the exception of mouth trauma, cats don't get loose teeth without some disease of the gums or tooth root. This can be a number of things... some cats get immune mediated stomatitis, others get bacterial infections in their gums, and there are even some kind of cancer that can cause this. The cats with cancer in their mouth are usually very painful with a very foul odor.

Regardless, you will probably need to go to a veterinarian to have her treated. If the tooth is very loose you might be able to grab it and pull it out, but it will likely leave behind some piece of the tooth root. She needs to be sedated so that it can be evaluated and the entire tooth including the root can be removed. Then if there is infection antibtiotics can be started and if there is generalized gum disease the other teeth can be evaluated at the same time.

I hope that answers any questions you have, but if you have additional questions please let me know.