Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 12 week old kitten. one of her eye looks swollen

Customer Question
with reddish brown discharge and...
I have a 12 week old kitten. one of her eye looks swollen with reddish brown discharge and sneezes.
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she was test for FIV/L and is negative. I will be taking her to the vet next week appointment. As of right new, is there anything I can do for her. She has a huge appetite, stool is solid, and very playful.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/11/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

It sounds like she has an upper respiratory tract infection which is a viral cat cold.

Is she squinting the eye or unable to open the eye? Did her symptoms just start today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her left eye is smaller and squinting. I just adopted her from a rescue organization yesterday and noticed it for two days now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has an appointment with a Vet next Tuesday. Is there anything I can do in the mean time or should I take her to a walk in sooner?

Ok so upper respiratory tract infections are very common. If her eye is involved, and she is squinting and there is drainage, I think she should be seen today or tomorrow. Most regular vets are open today and Saturday mornings. He eye should be checked to make sure the virus is not affecting her cornea. The cornea is a thin layer of cells that covers the front of the eye. It is sensitive so when the cornea is affected they may squint the eye. Treatment would be antibiotic eye medication to make sure the cornea does not become infected. So you would have to see a vet to get the antibiotic eye medication because they do not sell it over the counter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I'll call my vet now.

For her sneezing you can give her human bendaryl. Based on her age Im guessing she weighs about 2.5 pounds. That would be 1 ml or 1 cc of benadryl every 12 hours as needed for the sneezing.

Keep a humidifier in the room with her.

When you take a shower bring her into the bathroom and steam out her respiratory tract.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's tiny born with a spinal curve and back paw has one toe from umbilical cord being tangled. She's probably 1.5 lbs.

If cats have a stuffy nose and can not smell the food they do not eat as well. So you can use really smelly fish flavors and warm the food to make it more fragrant.

You are welcome.

I am glad you are able to take her in sooner. : )

Ok then 1/2 cc of benadryl every 12 hours. Your vet may have a different antihistamine they prefer to recommend.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian