Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is anemic because of kidney failure. Just had a blood

Customer Question

He is anemic because of kidney failure. Just had a blood transfusion yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Buddy, 12 years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My vet seems to not like injections to help him produce red blood cells. He says that there is to many side effects. Is there anything else that I can do other than having blood transfusions to help the anemia?
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has she been in kidney failure for? Do you know how low her blood count was?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In july there was no kidney issues on blood tests, but he has lost 4 lbs since then. i thought it was his teeth, two weeks ago went to a dentist who did more blood tests and said kidney. His red count was 8 % on tuesday. Crest went from 3.8 to 2.6 with ivf.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Creat. Not crest. One of his kidneys is smaller, per ultrasound done this week. So I am unsure how long it's actually been going on. I've known about it for three weeks now.

Sorry I was off line when you responded. Are you still looking for advice?