Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She doesn't move all day. Eats only when I bring her food to

Customer Question
her and then not a...
she doesn't move all day. Eats only when I bring her food to her and then not a lot. She will stand up and walk to food if I put it a few feet away. She does walk to the water dish a few feet away after eating. I know she has walked to the closet where the litter box is but she poops outside of the box but not messing regularly. She has been doing this for a couple of weeks. She is a feral cat that is inside but hard to grab.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Flea and I think she is 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Flea?
Customer: she has never been to the vet other than to get spayed and a round of shots 10 years ago. She hasn't been outside in 7 years. My other 2 cats avoid her. They used to chase her a little and she would follow them around.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/9/2016
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has Flea had any bloodwork?
2) Is she urinating religiously in the cat box?
3) Is she declawed?
4) How is she eating? Any decease in appetite?
5) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
6) How is her weight? same? decreased? increased?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No blood work done.
She urinats on the litter box.
She has a decrease appetite.
No vomiting. She did have a little diarrhea for a day but not any more.
Her weight appears to have decreased.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not declawed.

Although she's hard to catch, it would be wise to have bloodwork performed on her. If you're unable to do this on your own, consider hiring a mobile vet to come to you and obtain her within your home with their staff. With her weight decreasing, having no energy to move, using the bathroom outside of the box, etc. these symptoms all indicate that something is wrong medically. At her age, we would want to check for liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc. which can easily be done through bloodwork. Once diagnosed, treatment options can be discussed and can then begin to start making her feel better once again.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Flea doing? Any luck with finding a mobile vet? If you need help, let me know and I can assist in locating one.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian