Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a stray who has labored breathing. She's very weak

Customer Question

I have a stray who has labored breathing. She's very weak and I took her to a 24 hour vet last night and the tests alone were going to be $1500. There was no way I could pay that much so I denied services and they gave her fluids and an antibiotic shot. Is there anywhere I can take her that would be more affordable or is there anything else I can do for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: I've been calling her Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the stray cat?
Customer: It's mostly just the labored breathing and weakness. She was too weak to get up and urinated in the cat bed. She's estimated to be about a year old or less
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. At this point I really don't know what to do
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this stray cat.

If you look at her gums, are they pale, or do they look a normal bright pink?

In a cat this young, with labored breathing, I would be worried about anemia (low red blood cells) which in turn could be caused by the feline leukemia virus. If her gums appear pale, that would be the first thing I would check for, before doing other tests.

If your area has an animal shelter with a clinic, you might have her treated there.

If there is no low cost clinic in your area, you can check this website for places that help with vet bills:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html?credit=web?referrer=https://www.google.com/

But before dong all those tests, I would do a simple blood test to see if she has feline leukemia.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

How is Bella doing? I hope you were able to see my repsonse; I have not heard back from you.