Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I work with 3 feral cat colonies. Some are highly

Customer Question
socialised, however one of the...
I work with 3 feral cat colonies. Some are highly socialised, however one of the very wild ones has terrible cancer in her one eye she is white the sun is vicious here,and i think it has gone into her sinus on that side as her nose is bleeding all the time now. Not heavily but there is a bloody discharge and you can hear the rattle when she breathes. we have been trying to sedate her for a while,as this is a very small poor town where we have vet once a week and nothing works. Not 10mg valium and not 20mg of a sedative from my vet. Not sure if the natural high state of alert being feral overrides the sedative. Its getting severe we are desperate to catch her,i think euthanaze is now required. Any human drug that will really knock her out??? Has to be given with soft food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: thanx Pearl. no not really.her approx age 10,they are fed daily and dewormed if poss(social ones) and product used for defleaing if poss. Her general health is good she isnt thin and still eating. Eye is a mess,huge sore eating into face below tearduct. size of a quarter? i imagine it is extremely painful. if we can just knock her out we can get her to the vet for checkup and then he can euthanaze if he has to,which i dont want if poss. please advise NOTHING works we have been trying for weeks now......she is bullet proof with sedatives....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/8/2016
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

There is no human medication on the market that is going to knock her smooth out and part of the problem with oral valium is that it takes so darn long to work that your cat has probably sauntered off and found other things to do by the time the full effect is being experienced.

Have you tried a trap on her yet? If so, what type are you using and what protocol?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian