Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

Ts seem ok but one of them drinks a great dal of water and

Customer Question

ts seem ok but one of them drinks a great dal of water and of course pees a lot. what may she have
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cats
JA: OK. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Macy about 14 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Macy?
Customer: she's adopted and very shy around anyone but me
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I will try to help you with Macy. It is good that you are able to notice this change in habit. Drinking and peeing a lot (or what we call PU/PD) is a sign of several different diseases. Some causes include urinary tract infection, kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and some other systemic diseases. When you notice this in your pet, it is best to bring her in to have some labwork done. Most general lab panels which include some analysis of blood and urine will be able to distinguish which disease it is. Some cats will have more than one disease going on. Some of the causes are very easily treated with medications. Although this is not an emergency, it is always easier to address diseases before they get too advanced. Hopefully you can get her in to see a vet soon so that this can be addressed. In the meantime, make sure she has plenty of access to the water and watch her eating habits as well to see if there is any changes there. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need clarification.

Best,

Dr. Pearl