Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat was neutered abt 2 yrs ago and there has been

Customer Question

my cat was neutered abt 2 yrs ago and there has been brown staining around private area shes an adult cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: im wondering abt the brown stains around her private area
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: she doesnt but this began after she was neutered
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: its the brown stains from her peeing concerns me
JA: Is your cat eating normally?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is your cat having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: no i have 2 adult cats and 2 liter boxes and theres pee and the other in there not to much how often should they pee and how many times in a day
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, I would note that there is no set frequency to how often a cat passes urine, as it varies by the individual (just as in people). Though as long as she passes urine at least once every 24 hours without straining or difficulty and it is a normal volume for her then that isn't a worry. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** brown staining, this may just be due to poor grooming (as letting the urine sit on the skin/coat will discolor it), a sign of a mild yeast infection of that affected skin, or could be a hint of an underlying bladder infection or urine crystal issues.

Therefore, we'd not be panicked here as long as she is again passing urine comfortably but it would be ideal to collect and submit a urine sample to check for those concerns. To collect a urine sample, we often can just keep the cat in a non-carpeted room overnight with a clean empty litter box. The sample can then be checked under the microscope for crystals or signs of infection (ie blood, white blood cells). Otherwise, we'd want to also be salt water bathing (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) this stained area for her. This can be done 2-3 times daily and can just help with skin yeast infections and remove any urine that may be irritating the skin and staining the fur this color.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.