PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Her belly is swelling in the right side and also her poop is

Customer Question

Hi, her belly is swelling in the right side and also her poop is very yellow anx soft
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: She used to live outside, we adotp her but she don't allow us to touch her. Her name is ***** ***** she around 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Tinhas?
Customer: No, because she dont let us touch her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long has this been an issue?
2) Is she still eating and drinking well?
3) Has anyone had her spayed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1) Her belly a few years, her stool maybe last month.
2) Yes.
3) Yes, she is spayed.

Thank you for this. What food is she being fed currently? Is she fed a steady diet or does it switch to whatever is available?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I always give meow mix. It's always the same kind.

I can give you some things to try, but my suspicion is that she's going to need to go to the vet. Yellow stool often means that there is an underlying medical issue and not just problem with the food or parasites. Here are some steps to take:

1) Increase fiber in the food by mixing in pure canned pumpkin with each meal.
2) Consider a change to a higher quality diet such as proplan, science diet, authority, etc.
3) Deworm her by mixing dewormer into a highly palatable food she likes. Try to use both pyrantel and praziquantel. Example: http://www.petshed.com/item/generic-drontal-tablets-for-cats
4) Trap her and present her to your vets office for a fecal exam to check for giardia, tritrichomonas, coccidia and other parasites/protozoan not treated with routine deworming.

The distended belly may be due to a medical issue, such as a mass in the abdomen, or may be due to intestinal parasites. If she is dewormed, the pumpkin doesn't work and the diet change doesn't work, your options are very limited on what can be done without assistance from a vet and a exam should be considered for the next course of action. Even if she is not a friendly cat, they can assist her medically if you can get her to the vet in a dog kennel or a trap.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Tinhas? Did any of these steps help?