Dr. Welton
Dr. Welton, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed small animal veterinarian since 2002. Practice owner since 2004.
1859647

Our 2 year old mix lab was bitten by a tick..We had the tick

Customer Question

Our 2 year old mix lab was bitten by a tick..We had the tick tested which came up negative. She was given Revolution every month for six months up to the time we saw the tick. Does a test for Lyme disease warranted??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the tick bleeding a lot?
Customer: No..the tick was placed in rubbing alcohol and the results showed the tick showed no signs of any disease
JA: What is the tick's name?
Customer: Not sure..could be a brown tick. Apparently there are four types of ticks in the Ottawa Canada area
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Ottawa Canada?
Customer: Other than we are getting into the cold weather season
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Welton replied 9 months ago.

I am not sure in what manner a veterinarian could have tested a tick. There really is not test one can perform directly on a tick to determine if it is a vector for tick born infection. I would like to further comment on Lyme testing and Revolution. It will require me to type for a moment. Do you have a few minutes to discuss my answer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the tick was sent to a lab

Okay, it appears you are offline, so I will proceed with my consultation. The initial good news I have is that if your veterinarian accurately identified that the tick your dog had on her was indeed a Brown Dog Tick, then Lyme Disease is not a concern, as the organism that causes Lyme is transmitted only by the Ixodes species of tick. That stated, even if the tick was an Ixodes species tick, it would not be worth testing for Lyme this soon, as the disease has an incubation period of 3-6 months before it is detectable my standard blood tests.

Regarding Revolution, it is an effective heartworm, intestinal worm, and flea preventive, but it is virtually no preventive activity for ticks. For effective tick protection, my favorite product is a 3 month flea/tick chewable called Bravecto. Bravecto is very safe and very effective against all of the major tick species and can be used concurrently with Revolution.

FYI, the infectious disease most commonly associated with the Brown Dog Tick is ehrlicia, a disease that presents similarly to Lyme, but is much less common. Signs of disease like Lyme would not surface until 3 - 6 months after the tick feeding, so like Lyme, it is not worth testing for at this time.

Sings of disease so that you know what to look out for just in case include depression, poor to no appetite, very high fever. Like Lyme, Ehrlichia responds very well to treatment with the antibiotic doxycycline.

Best regards ***** ***** wishes! Thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Dr. Roger

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Welton