Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My 13 year old british shorthair cat has been throwing up

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my 13 year old british shorthair cat has been throwing up his breakfast (dry food always) shortly after eating. This has been going on for a couple of days. Thought he was eating grass initially so stopped his access to garden...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the British Shorthair eat anything unusual?
Customer: maybe some grass or herbs...
JA: What is the British Shorthair's name?
Customer: Draco
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Draco?
Customer: no, he's robust and healthy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hello, again.

I'm so sorry Draco has been vomiting shortly after eating. This could be caused by various factors. He could be eating too quickly and with dry food, the way to prevent this, is to place a new, washed golf ball in the middle of his bowl to slow him down.

Another reason could be excess acid in his stomach or acid reflux, which causes nausea and then, vomiting. To prevent this, you can give him 1/4 of a 10mg. Pepcid AC (Famotidine is the generic) tablet, about 30 minutes before his breakfast, and then again, 12 hours later. Here is more information :

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

-----------

I'm glad you stopped him from going into the garden, as eating grass and any herbs can cause him to vomit, and you don't know if any herbs or other things around your garden, like plants or flowers could have been nibbled on and are toxic to cats. If you saw any grass when he regurgitated (it's really regurgitation, not vomiting, when it's shortly after eating and contains undigested food), then that would give you a good idea of the cause.

Wet food is really healthiest for cats, but you can leave a good quality dry food around, in a portioned size, only at night or during the day, too, for 'grazing', which cats love to do. The best foods have real meat listed as the first ingredient and don't contain any fillers/grains like corn, soy, wheat, gluten or carrageenan, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. This is especially important for older cats, like Draco. I think you'll find this article written by a feline vet, interesting: http://catinfo.org/

For the moment, try the Pepcid AC to settle his stomach and eradicate any nausea, monitor him for any further vomiting/regurgitation, make sure he's urinating and defecating as usual and don't allow him to eat any more grasses, as you mentioned.

If you notice any more unusual symptoms or a continuation of the vomiting, have him seen by his vet in person for an evaluation and a senior blood panel, including a thyroid test. This will provide additional diagnostic tools for the vet to make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment, if needed.

I hope all will be well with Draco!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Just a quick follow-up to see how everything is going with Draco.

Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know. Thanks!

Cher