Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

He is losing his balance and he is holding his head angled

Customer Question

he is losing his balance and he is holding his head angled to one side
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is around 6 years I believe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simba?
Customer: he is an outdoor cat most of the time
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Simba's situation. Is he still eating and drinking ok? How long has he been doing this with the loss of balance and the head tipped to one side?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is eating and drinking fine. It has been going on for a week.

That is good that he's eating and drinking fine. With an outdoor cat that is holding his head to one side, the biggest suspicion I would have is an ear issue. When the ear has an infection - mites, bacteria, etc.., they can tip to that side. They can also have balance issues if the issue progresses to the middle ear area where they have their vestibular system which controls balance. An outdoor cat would be very suspicious for ear mites. The best thing that can be done here is a veterinary exam and that ear closely evaluated with an otoscope to see what is in the ear itself. IF there is a lot of dark debris that you can already see at home, then this is a further push towards that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

I'm glad to help and hope this guy is feeling better here soon. Once your vet has a diagnosis, then they can take the appropriate therapy steps to correct this.