Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My male neutered 6yr old cat is having problems urinating

Customer Question

my male neutered 6yr old cat is having problems urinating .... is there something I can give him to help him.... I am on a VERY fixed income and a vet visit can be way out of my money range.... PLEASE HELP !
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that your sweet Target is not feeling well.

Most likely Target has a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). These signs of many trips to the litter box with little coming out are very typical for this. This infection in females and males makes them feel like they have to go all the time even if they have no urine in their bladder. This will require antibiotics. For now, go to the pet store and purchase a product called Methigel. Give your cat a dose of this on his nose every 4 hrs. This is a urinary acidifier that causes the urine to be in an acid state so the bacteria cannot grow. This will not cure this but will prevent further bacterial growth until you can get him to your vet.

I know the money is difficult but it would better to take Target to your vet as soon as possible. Failure to treat this especially in males, can cause crystals that could block the urinary tract and cause a life threatening condition.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****