Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

17 yo DSH, always small cat, max wt maybe 8-9 lbs when. Down

Customer Question

17 yo DSH, always small cat, max wt maybe 8-9 lbs when young. Down to 5lbs a year ago. Probably 3 now. Severe muscle loss, just bones and fur. Diagnosed hyperthyroidism about 1year ago. With very early signs, kidney disease. Tried the gel medication for thyroid for a couple months but cat reacted negatively to same . Went into hiding and this has been and still is a very personable, people loving cat. She follows me constantly, talks all day....has since kittenhood. Stopped the med and she returned to her personable, playful self. She is still able to jump on counters and even top of cupboard in kitchen. Our problem is she is ravenous, eats 4x/day...... 1/2 can , small can of Fancy Feast, and within hour is crying for more. Dry food always available and she still is able to chew/eat same. Don't want to take her back to the vet as she just goes bonkers. I do give her boiled chicken occasionally, but have noticed lately that she does not seem to do well the day after. Chicken is her favorite ...... I had noticed if we gave her chicken, braised, from grocer or deli chicken that she really seemed unwell the day after so started boiling chicken but past couple times she seems listless,unwell the day after that, then rallies again the next day. Any suggestions for the appetite. I am sure there is no way to help her gain weight, she didn't while on the thyroid med.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Breezi is hyperthyroid and can't take the medication. Without being treated, hyperthyroidism can lead to heart disease, severe weight loss, and death.

Some hyperthryoid cats improve if they eat a low iodine diet. There is only one low iodine diet on the market today, called Y/D. You can get it from a veterinarian, or from Chewy.com (but they contact your veterinarian before shipping).

Bugleweed is an herb that can help with hyperthyroidism symptoms, such as the ravenous appetite.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Hi Judy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Breezi. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! How is Breezi doing? Can I help or answer anything else?