Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

Not eating. Was eating and fine yesterday. Looks like he has

Customer Question

Not eating. Was eating and fine yesterday. Looks like he has not eaten all day. Sides sunk in. Does not want to be messed with. Came in curle up in ball sleeping. Very unusual for this cat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Simba 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simba?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 8 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you.

I need to ask a few questions to get a better handle on what may be going on with Simba. Does he go outdoors? Is he sore in any particular area of his body? When you pick him up and put him back down, will he walk normally over to his bed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
inside outside cat. Is walking fine. Wanted in house jumped on couch. He just acted like he wanted to throw up. Heaved but no throw up
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Typing is fine.

Can you feel his abdomen and tell me if he seems painful? Has he had any urinary tract issues in the past or urinary accidents?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When he first came in he did. He is letting me touch his belly now but he does act like it is tender

So I have a couple of concerns. In a young male cat that goes outside there are a few possibilities: toxic ingestion (plants, garbage, antifreeze, etc), urinary tract obstruction, injury from either a cat bite/scratch or blunt trauma (fall or kick).

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No visible injuries. I wondered about urinary tract. Does not seem in pain unless I mess with him then growls like leave me alone.

If it is an issue with his urinary tract and he is not able to urinate, then it can become a life threatening emergency within 12 hours. Do you have a local emergency clinic that you can take him to tonight?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is one about thirty mins away.

It is a good idea to take him in tonight. They can check him for a urinary issue, give him pain meds and anti nausea medications and give you peace of mind that he is stable. If it is a urinary tract obstruction, he would need to be hospitalized. Otherwise, he would likely be able to come home tonight.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill