Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I just got my kitten a few weeks ago and need to have her

Customer Question

Hi, I just got my kitten a few weeks ago and need to have her first check up. She has been scratching her ears and today I found these little brown things crawling on her that are really fast. There may be at least 3. I killed one of the bugs, but what are they and how do I treat her before I can get an appointment at the vet?!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Sophia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophia?
Customer: She hasn't gotten her shots yet since I'm trying to get her an appointment. She has little pieces of black just a little bit in her fur near the back of her belly. She's been sleeping in my bed with me so now I'm even more concerned. Can I get something at the pet store to kill them right away??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How old is she?

Any discharge in her ears?

Were they small and clear/brown or opaque?

Are the brown bugs jumping or crawling on her?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She was born April 21, 2016. So, about 6 months. They are brown and crawling. Her inner ears just look shiny.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

If they are small shiny and not jumping off of her, then ear mites would be our top concern for this situation. Fleas would tend to be larger and jump off of her when you try to grab them. Of course, other mites and lice would also be a concern but often they won't be so focused on the ears.

In this case, we do need to treat for these since they can be very irritating for them. The safest OTC option would be MilbeMite (milbemycin). Though if you cannot find that OTC, you can pop her into her vets for the nurse to just check her weight and dispense a good quality multi-parasite spot on treatment (ie Advantage Multi, Revolution, Stronghold). These latter ones are ideal since they can clear ear mites but also fleas, mites and lice. And that way we can treat this effectively until she can be seen (which at that point they could add in intra-ear drops if needed for the mites and also bacterial involvement).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )