Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I believe that my cat has a toothache, I was previously told

Customer Question

I believe that my cat has a toothache, I was previously told by the vet that he may need to have a tooth pulled. He has been lethargic all day today and won't eat and his breath is terrible. Is there anything that I can give him temporarily until I can get him in for a dental exam on Monday?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Zani and he is a 9 year old Himalayan. We adopted him in May and he was a mess, wasn't groomed or neutered or taken to vet by previous owners as per the rescue we went through.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zani?
Customer: He has entropion so his eyes are runny but we clean them daily. No other medical problems, had full bloodwork in July.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 9 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

It is very likely that Zani has dental disease and would benefit from having a thorough dental cleaning with extractions as indicated. Many cats with severe dental disease will either chew on one side of the mouth or lose weight because they cannot comfortably eat dry food. There is nothing over the counter that is safe to give him for pain. I would only offer canned cat food until you can see your local veterinarian on Monday. Feel free to ask follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take care.