Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat got a vaccination, rabies vaccination and antibiotics

Customer Question
as he has gingervitis. I...
My cat got a vaccination, rabies vaccination and antibiotics as he has gingervitis. I came home around 730 and he's thrown up quite a few times. They're foaming white bile. In the last 20 minutes he hasn't thrown up but he's very lethargic and doesn't want to be patted. Should I take him to emerge?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/20/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

Did he get the vaccine within the last 24 hours?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
today at 7pm. It's 8:30 where I'm located.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm just not sure because he's stopped throwing up but he certainly not himself

OK thanks for that, just typing out your answer now ...

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Of course if you want to be 100% sure you should have tucker checked over by an ER vet without delay. But I can tell you that vaccine reactions can and do occur, while this is not normal it is a situation which all vets will see now and again. Although it is uncomfortable for your cat the majority of these reaction pass without any intervention. Basically there are two sorts of reactions which can occur :

A. Serious reactions : These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your cat will be in extremis or collapsed. { Clearly not the case with Tucker }

B. Mild reactions : These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four of five days, you may see discomfort at the site where the vaccine was given, a mild fever and reduced appetite plus lethargy and gastroenteritis type symptoms.

3. It seems to me likely that you are dealing with the second form of the reaction. The main way to treat this reaction is just support and trying to keep your cat drinking and eating, really this is just good nursing care. While there are no guarantees the majority of these cats slowly return to normal over a four of five day period.

4. Of course if your cat does not quickly start to recover or if you note any deterioration it would be best to have him checked over again by your vet. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Tucker's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I think you're right. Since we last spoke Tucker has been drinking lots other water. He's starting to purr again and to be honest I think he's loving all the attention I'm giving him..

The chances are he will be just fine, but keep a good eye on him and get back to me if things change in any way ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tucker is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect vaccine reaction ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.