Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My kitten will only eat milk supplement and she is

Customer Question

My kitten will only eat milk supplement and she is constipated. Is there anything I can give her to help her go?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if this little lass cannot pass stool, we need to tread with care.

If she has any discomfort, straining, or has an overly distended belly; then we may need to have her seen by the local vet. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, we do have a few steps we can take to promote fecal movement. For example, you can start by diluting her kitten milk with water or pedialyte. This will just help dissolve any clots from the milk, rehydrate any feces drying out in the GI and ease its passage. As well, you can also try adding a small volume of cat hairball replacer into her milk to get things moving. As a GI lubricant, it will help pass firm feces lingering in the gut just as it would a hairball in adults cats. Alternatively, if you try these and still do not see feces, you can add a few drops of lactuose, mineral oil or Miralax to her milk (not give directly), but do so with care since aspiration of these can cause issue for our wee ones. Overall, if she is constipated, we need to tread with care. Though as long as she isn't in distress, we can take the above steps to gently get things moving. Of course, if she doesn't pass stool with these, then we'd want her to see her vet for an enema to restore normal fecal regularity for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your advice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )