Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat wont eat,,hes traveled many times and he just wont

Customer Question

my cat wont eat,,hes traveled many times and he just wont eat now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: buddy and is 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about buddy?
Customer: we are in a different state now,,,he wont eat wont drink water wont go outside and sits in his crate and looks at us...at times he when hes not in the crate he turns his back and just looks at us
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have gotten to our twice a year destination..buddy will not eat or drink..when I put his wet food down he only licked the juice a couple of times..he hasn't eaten for 3 days and just alittle bit of water this morning...buddy just webby outside into the bushes..he's used to this place..by vacations two times a year..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now we need to tread with care since stress is likely the trigger for Buddy's anorexia but if this has been ongoing for 3 days there is a risk of secondary liver issues (hepatic lipidosis) playing a role. Therefore, we need to be proactive here. To start, you do need to keep tempting him to eat. Further then cat food try boiled chicken, boiled white fish, meat baby food (garlic/onion free ones only). If he refuses, then we'd need to think about syringe feeding with a watered down calorie rich diet like Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery or even canned kitten food. As well, there are also liquid diets like Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet or Catsure and also pastes like Nutrical we can use. All of these are nutrient dense, so a little goes a long way nutritionally. So, these will help us break this fast and keep him from weakening himself or causing his liver harm.

As well, with his poor thirst, we'd want to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). But f that is fine thus far, then we can tempt him with cat milk, lactose free milk, or low salt chicken broth. And water or cat milk can also be syringe fed if need be (though note that he needs a daily dose of 48ml per kilogram of his weight as his daily requirement).

Finally, to try to counter the stress of the move for Buddy, we'd want to consider a de-stressing treatment. In these situations, we often we will use Feliway, also known as Comfort Zone in the US pet stores, which is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve stress. This can be used as a spray or a plug-in diffuser. As well, there are nutritional supplements like Kalmaid or Zylkene can soothe anxious cats in these situations. Some people have even found treats like Composure (carried on Amazon) or Bach Flower Remedy to be helpful for settling kitty tension. And as these are not 'drugs', you can use any of these together to help settle Buddy anxiety and aid her in coping with this life change.

Overall, we need to tread with care if he has been off food and water this long. So, the above would be our next step here if he won't eat for you. Otherwise, if he doesn't respond to the above or if we see any paling of his gums or vomiting; then we'd want a check with a local vet to head off any hepatic lipidosis and get him onto an appetite stimulant if needed. To find a vet near you, you can check http://www.vetlocator.com/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.