Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have an 18yrs old Calico cat who has suddenly tonight

Customer Question
become unable to walk....
I have an 18yrs old Calico cat who has suddenly tonight become unable to walk. When she does stand, she raises her paw as if to step and is turning her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No sore- she seems like she is almost having a stroke.
JA: What is the calico cat's name?
Customer: Capi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Capi?
Customer: She has lost a lot of her muscle tone , and weight but she is eating and drinking above normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/16/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Capi. Your post was truncated at "...and is turning her..." Please elaborate further.

Eating and drinking excessively at her age indicates diabetes mellitus or hyperthryoidism. Both are thromboembolic (clot producing) which could result in a stroke as you mentioned. Both can also cause hypertension which also can result in stroke.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SHe is turnig her head unnaturally when this occurs. Almost as if she is having a stroke.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SHe has also begun 'howling' during the night.

Thank you. Yes, that's certainly possible. Unfortunately, we don't have specific therapy for strokes; instead, we treat the underlying disorder that precipitated it. In this case her nightime howling is the clue for hyperthyroidism. Her vet will want to throughly examine Capi including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. A simple T4 (total thyroid) blood test should reveal hyperthyroidism and treatment in the form of oral or transdermal methimazole plus a blood pressure reducing medication such as amlodipine would be prescribed.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian