Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Our 10-year-old kitty has been to the vet recently because

Customer Question
of sneezing and a sore...
Our 10-year-old kitty has been to the vet recently because of sneezing and a sore throat. That was able to look in throat and said that left tonsil was very swollen. He received a shot of steroid as well as a shot of convenia. waiting on blood results and urine test now. He has a good energy level but is sneezing terribly today as we woke up. No green discharge. All clear but nose is running and he is sneezing almost constantly. We will be back in touch with the vet tomorrow but we need to know if there's anything we can do for him today. Anna histamines, take him to an emergency vet, warm compresses, anything?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/16/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am glad to hear that his vet has tested to determine which infectious agent is causing Stewie's signs, but in the meantime there are some supportive care steps we can take as long as he isn't struggling to breathe (as that would be an indication of needing an ER visit and oxygen). Now antihistamines are not going to be of benefit if this is viral and not an allergy. Though to soothe his sneezing, I would say that you can try steam treating him. To steam treat him, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam tents’ with Stewie in his carrier, a humidifier, and a light bed sheet over both to make a little steam room for him.

As well, if he are building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away any crust and mucus. You can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist but not anything medicated) to clear his congestion. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Furthermore, making sure he is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if you see any loss of normal of appetite, do try tempting him with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.

Overall, I'd note advise the examples you have given but the above would be options we could use to reduce congestion and irritation in his nostrils to reduce sneezing and help get him comfortable here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian