Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am fostering a litter of 4 kittens....4 weeks old or so.

Customer Question

I am fostering a litter of 4 kittens....4 weeks old or so. The runt is having diarrhea with a little blood. She is eating and playful but not nearly as energetic as her litter mates.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Hershey.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hershey?
Customer: I've had her for a week. She gained an ounce right away and stayed that size for 3 days. Overnight she has lost a full ounce. She weighs 11 ounces.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It could be dietary related, but my main concern is that she may have intestinal worms or Coccidia (intestinal protozoal parasite). She may seem show more symptoms before any of the other kittens do due to being the runt. It would take a lot less for her to get sick from parasites. I would have your vet run a fecal exam on her to check for any parasites. I would do a routine deworming on her as well if not already done, or if it has been at least 2 weeks since last dewormed. If fecal is normal, your vet can prescribe a small amount of metronidazole that should resolve this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how Hershey is doing and to see if you have any further questions.