Dr.D
Dr.D, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian for 27 years. Licensed in Canada and in the USA.
27194348

I have a 15yr old who has started peeing on cloths that drop

Customer Question

I have a 15yr old who has started peeing on cloths that drop on the closet floor, rugs, under his litter box, next to shoes?? why? Im ready to put him down on Monday evening, but my husband and I are heart broken. He has been such a good companion until this started??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.D replied 10 months ago.

Hello there , I am DrD , thank you for the question . I am sorry to hear that Tybee is giving you such a difficult times but this could be a very easy to deal situation if you have not taken him to your vet already for this condition.

There are several medical conditions that can lead a cat to inappropriate urination and these should be ruled out so as not to get on the wrong track. The cat will need to be examined and get some testing. Conditions to rule out in part depend on the age of the cat as young adult cats tend to get different diseases than do senior cats but, briefly, here are some conditions that should be checked out:

• Bladder infection (common in senior cats, unusual in young adult cats but still needs to be ruled out).
  • Bladder stone (more common in female cats than in male cats, but can happen to any cat).
  • Conditions that lead to excessive water consumption (there are probably a dozen such conditions and they are all more common in older cats versus younger cats but most are ruled out with a basic blood panel).
  • Arthritis (usually an older cat's problem. Often these cats will urinate next to the box or near it because they cannot squat properly or cannot step into a high-walled box).
  • Bladder tumor (not common but still a consideration in older cats especially if there is straining to urinate and/or bloody urine).

Of special note is the condition currently referred to as feline idiopathic cystitis. This condition amounts to physical manifestations of anxiety where the cat not only may urinate inappropriately but also strains painfully in the litter box, and produces bloody urine. A male cat can actually obstruct his urinary tract, creating a medical emergency. This is a common condition in young adult cats but is uncommon in older cats. Please see the link above for more details on this complex condition.

As mentioned, your veterinarian should evaluate your cat medically before you conclude that the problem is behavioral and you embark on a long-term behavioral approach.

I hope this helps. please do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions. Thank you

Expert:  Dr.D replied 10 months ago.
Hello there , let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
Expert:  Dr.D replied 10 months ago.
Hi Sue,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tybee. How is everything going?
Dr.D
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well what surprise!! Take him in for all these tests costing about $500. . And with out vet clinic that would be on the small end!!two months ago they
Expert:  Dr.D replied 10 months ago.

Dear I can not read your message .All I can see is this " Well what surprise!! Take him in for all these tests costing about $500. . And with out vet clinic that would be on the small end!!two months ago they "

Is there anything that I can be help with ? thank you. DrD