Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has ulsar type sores on his lip and now it is moving

Customer Question
Hi my cat has ulsar...
Hi my cat has ulsar type sores on his lip and now it is moving inside his mouth. He has been seen chasing spiders
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: 1 year and boo is her name she is very timid and shy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about 1 year?
Customer: she has now she has not been fixed yet
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/13/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. Can you upload a photo(s) of your cat's lip to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I suspect that you're describing a condition called eosinophilic granuloma/rodent ulcer. You mentioned his mouth and he has been seen chasing spiders as well as Boo is her name and she is very timid and shy. Please clarify

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not see a paper clip to send a photo it was very hard to even get a picture of her lip just looks little puffy but it had moved into her mouth. If it is what you are suggesting what would the treatment be?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hit the call me button but I go not have the money . so please do not charge my card. I will wait for your responsed

Don't worry about the phone call. I'm not allowed to speak to customers by phone in any event.

Yes, eosinophilic skin disease can involve the oral cavity as well. The hallmark of treatment is a systemic glucococorticosteroid such as the prescription prednisolone but in some cases skin infection also needs to be addressed and underlying allergies (a flea saliva allergy in particular) need to be controlled. Alternative therapies involve the antibiotics trimethoprim sulfa or doxycycline and oral essential fatty acids supplements. The prognosis is variable. Cats with underlying allergies that are managed successfully have an excellent prognosis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks what type of doses of predispose and treatment time for boo 8 lbs?

You're welcome. To induce remission, prednisolone dosed at 1 mg/lb twice daily is administered until lesions resolve (approximately 2-8 weeks). Significant improvement should be seen within 2-4 weeks. Once lesions have resolved, oral prednisolone therapy should be gradually taperedd to the lowest possible alternate-day dose. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian