Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a new kitten and when I took her to my vet on the

Customer Question
third visit they took her...
I have a new kitten and when I took her to my vet on the third visit they took her into the back just to giver her shots?? I wasn't comfortable with this but let it happen anyway. I brought her home and several (1 or 2?) days later my 3 year old cat was scratching her neck to the point that patches of skin were gone. I took her to the vet and they determined that the older cat had fleas? I had 2 other cats in my apartment for years and never had fleas. The previous 2 times that I had taken the kitten to the vet they never took her into the back and I neither had fleas! I had to take the older cat to the vet and they gave her an antibiotic injection, Capstar for both cats, gave the older cat a Convenia injection and chlorpheniramine 4 mg pills. They also gave the older cat a revolution treatment. I have been treating the older cat as prescribed. 1/2 of the Chlorpheniramine tablets by mouth twice a day and applying the animax as well. The sores from the scratching are not healing and I was wondering if I should get her a cortisone shot? When Suzi my kitten in 1995 had an allergic reaction to turkey she scratched her neck as well. They gave her a cortisone shot and it healsed up right away. Patsy, my older cat that has scratched her neck off is not healing the way she should be and they never gave her a cortisone shot. I am wondering if I should take her in to get a cortisone shot because she is still itching? Why my vet didn't give the older cat one this time I don't know. But the wounds aren't healing as they should because she is still scratching. I've combed the healthy areas of her body and there are no evidence of fleas so the revolution is working but she is still scratching her neck occasionally but enough that the wounds aren't healing. Her demeanor is fine, she doesn't seem to be in pain and she plays with the kitten. I think that a cortisone shot would help her heal faster, why my vet didn't give her one I do not know. I do know that when Suzi had an allergic reaction back in 1995 and had the same symptoms the cortisone stopped her from scrathing and she healed quickly. My vet didn't give Patsy my older cat cortisone and sh is still scratching to where the wounds aren't healing. She is still under the 2 week antibiotic injection so I am not concerned about infection. I am just concerned because the wounds aren't healing as fast as they should and I think that she needs cortisone to stop the itching?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your kitten bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, no dripping blood or anything like that. It's just the wounds aren't healing as fast as I thought they would. Most of the smaller scratches have healed but there are 2 bigger ones that she keeps scratching every now and then to the point that they are not healing. Her demeanor is fine and under no circumstances whatsoever is it an emergency situation. After the vet visit her condition was much worse and they sent me home with her with the medications. Some of the smaller scratches have healed but she is still scratching and they did not give her a cortisone shot. When Suzi had an allergic reaction and scratched the skin off her neck in patches she was given a cortisone shot and a few days later the wounds were healing well. This time my vet didn't give Patsy a cortisone shot and she is not healing as quickly as Suzi did. My question is do you think that a cortisone shot or treatment would help with the itching and minimize the scratching to the point to where she would heal faster?
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten? I'll do all I can to help.
Customer: No she's fine and as playful as ever. I gave her the Capstar and Frontline and she is fine. Playful and funny, lots of personality. No scratching or anything. I ran the fine toothed come over her and no fleas came up on the comb and she is fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/12/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you.

Steroids are typically used if the itching is considered severe and are not able to be managed with other medications. Depending on what your veterinarian feels is best, ***** ***** either give her an injection of a short acting steroid to break the itch/scratch cycle or they may recommend oral steroids. Either are appropriate is you feel that she is still very itchy. Feel free to ask follow up questions. Please take time to rate my answer. You can continue to post on this thread for a few days, even after rating. Take care and I hope your kitty feels better soon.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian