Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Deon, 7 yr. old male, neutered, obtained from Human Society.

Customer Question
He's a bully to a...
Deon, 7 yr. old male, neutered, obtained from Human Society. He's a bully to a female cat in the house, she can't stand him. He's sweet to me. Hobbit is another male cat in the house. Problem is Deon is peeing on my bed. I put him outside my bedroom, and he waits just outside for me to come out like a dog. Deon peed on a bed by a window for a cat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Deon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Deon?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/11/2016
Cat Veterinarian: CVT_in_MN, CVT replied 1 year ago
CVT_in_MN

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I've been with this company since 2008. I'll be happy to help you with your question today.

How long have you had Deon?

Is he peeing a lot on your bed, or only a little bit?

Have you noticed any other unusual behaviors?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since Aug. 20, this year. A little, repeatedly. No.

So it's only a little each time?

Is it only your bed he's urinating on, or is he doing it in other places too?

Do you know if he was vet checked before you got him?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He urinated on a bed by a window placed there for another cat. Yes, Deon was vet checked.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear that your cat isn't feeling well. Unfortunately, changes in urination habits can be caused by many things that range from the rather benign (like a urinary tract infection) to the more dangerous (such as bladder cancer). In addition, there are issues like bladder stones or kidney disease that can present with urination accidents in the house.

Stones are caused by things such as minerals in the urine, bacteria, certain medications, an excess of Vitamin C in the diet or even their diet (which can affect the pH of the urine). Usually a course of antibiotics and a diet change to a prescription diet takes care of the problem.

Kidney disease can happen in any breed and unfortunately, at most any age. The contributing factors can include dehydration, cardiac issues, tumors, blood loss from traumas and both infections and ingestion of toxins. Even some medications can impair kidney function and lead to kidney disease. Generally this is treated with supportive care to keep the dog comfortable and to help improve kidney function.

Bladder cancer generally affects middle-aged or older cats. Although not nearly as common as some of the other possibilities, I wanted to mention this as well since it is often over-looked as a cause of inappropriate urination especially if the cat is otherwise healthy and hasn't had any long-term issues.

Urinary tract infections (also known as UTIs) are the number one most common cause for inappropriate urination in cats. The infection can be located anywhere in the urinary tract from the bladder to the kidneys and in unneutered male cats, even in the prostate. Certain medications and underlying health problems such as diabetes or viral infections can also lead to UTIs.

The important thing is to have Deon seen by a vet as soon as possible for evaluation of this change in his litter box habits. Inappropriate urination is never 'normal' and can get worse if left untreated. Your vet will likely want to run a urinalysis, so if you can catch urine from your cat before going (you can catch it up to 24 hours before your appointment, just keep it in a clean, closed container in your fridge. Do not leave it out of the fridge as that will cause bacteria to grow in the urine and may give you false positives). Hopefully it'll end up being nothing too severe, but early intervention is the key.

If it turns out that there is no infection going on, then you may want to consider investing in some Feliway diffuser for the house. This releases a man-made version of the same pheromone that lactating queens give off to calm the kittens for nursing, and can help relax older cats that may be dealing with some anxiety, like Deon.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN, CVT