Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is 5 months old. Stays inside the house. Have not

Customer Question

He is 5 months old. Stays inside the house. Have not vaccinated him yet. He's ordinarily very frisky. In the last week he has stopped eating and is vomiting. What can I do? Waiting for a vet appt. next week.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing we would have fed him, but he's pretty naughty. Who knows?
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Prince, in memory of the artist.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?
Customer: VERY low energy since he's been sick, about 10 days.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did he last eat normally without vomiting?
2) What food is being offered?

3) Are any medications being given at this time?
4) How often is he vomiting?
5) Any diarrhea?
6) Any blood in the vomit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1) about 12-13 nights ago
2) both dry and wet food
3)no meds as of yet
4) about 3-4 times a day
5)not yet doesn't really defacate only really urinates
6)no blood
Fur is matted and clammy almost dried out

I am very concerned that he may not make it to an appointment that comes next week. When cats stop eating and getting the appropriate amount of calories each day, they are at risk of hepatic lipidosis and liver failure. This can happen as early as 3 days following the onset of food refusal.

I can give you some steps to try at home, but I would recommend taking him to a vet that can see him sooner or being seen at the ER overnight.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. If he holds this down, work on switching to canned food. Try to give small amounts frequently and work your way up to him eating more.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
His fur is almost oily looking.

That may be due to him being nauseated and not wanting to groom. If he goes outside, there's a risk that he could have come in contact with something oily that caused the onset of the symptoms. It may be wise to bathe him in dawn dish soap to rid his coat of this oily substance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. He has never been outside since he has come to live with us.

It's most likely due to decreased grooming due to not feeling well, then.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. We know he has not feeling well. His
Fur is not our main concern. Using the previous mentioned symptoms what should we do to help him keep food down so he doesn't starve or dehydrate.
Until
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We can get to the vet Tuesday.

Were you able to see my reply above? I'll post it below.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?