Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My daughters cat, she called and said her cat is throwing up

Customer Question

My daughters cat, she called and said her cat is throwing up blood. I had her take her to the vet. My daughter is of course, very upset so I was trying to prepare myself for a prognosis.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did and eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that she indicated. The cat is elderly, I'd say 13.
JA: The vet is ready to answer your cat question. Is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Not that I have any more information on.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your daughter's cat. This may be something pretty serious for her, but could it be something that can be treated? There in is what their vet is going to try and determine. When I have an older cat that vomits up blood, I like to take x-rays on that cat and do blood work. That gets things going as far as finding out the issue. When blood is vomited, the source of the bleeding is looked for. Could she be swallowing blood from an oral lesion / dental disease? Could she have a stomach ulcer that is bleeding? Could there be a stomach tumor that is bleeding? Could she have swallowed something that has irritated the stomach lining? These are typically the top rule outs for this. Sometimes getting the specific answer is a challenge as a scoping of the stomach is the pinnacle of the diagnostic testing for it, but a lot of times treatment is started up and then response is judged.