Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My presented with a fever of 106.7 two days ago but has had

Customer Question
Hi my presented with a...
Hi my presented with a fever of 106.7 two days ago but has had bloodwork and x-rays done which proved to be inconclusive because everything was normal... her fever is done to 104.9 she is hospitalized on fluids... she is an indoor cat but she will dart outside in our backyard once in a while where we let her stay for about 15 min or so and then let her back in but we watch her the whole time and this is very rarely done anyways
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Geisha
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Geisha?
Customer: She has three legs so she never received a feline leukemia shot
JA: Did Geisha have a fall?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/30/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. **PLEASE NOTE: I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself.

I'm sorry to hear Geisha is not feeling well. Can you please provide the following so I can provide the best advice possible?

1. Age

2. Is Geisha spayed?

3. Any symptoms other that fever? Lethargy, loss of appetite, frequent urination or excessive thirst, sneezing or coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, etc?

4. Any previous health issues?

5. When and how did she lose her leg?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She was a kitten and was hit by a car. A stranger brought in her in we were gonna euthanize but I fell in love with her so I adopted her and paid for the surgery.She's spayed and about 8 years old. A healthy cat her whole life. She won't eat with this fever and she vomited a couple times when this first started which was Tuesday I believe
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
obviously she is lethargic due to all of this

OK, thank you for the additional information. Any fever that can't be explained is called a fever of unknown origin (FUO). Most commonly. it is going to be due to some unknown infection. Other causes include inflammation (secondary to a blunt trauma such as falling off of a tall piece of furniture, or being hit by a car, or even a condition called pancreatitis in which the pancreas get really inflamed). Other causes of fever include different cancers, and auto-immune diseases.

It sounds like you and your veterinarian have done everything right so far. Hospitalization for IV fluids, blood testing and x-rays are often the first steps. If nothing is found on these tests, an abdominal ultrasound may be the next step to find out why she is experiencing this fever. I would discuss with your veterinarian her previous blood testing to make sure she has been tested for FeLV and FIV, pancreatitis, as well as had her urine tested to make sure no urinary tract infection is present. For this, a urine culture and sensitivity test is best. If these have all been done, as I said the abdominal ultrasound test may be next.

If this were my pet, I would continue her on the fluids, and start an injectable broad-spectrum antibiotic in case some hidden infection is present. Once she goes home, if her appetite returns, she may need to be continued on an oral antibiotic. Sometimes, an appetite stimulant can be helpful in getting kitties to eat.

I hope this has helped, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have already given her convenia and she is on Batril. Urine test was normal. She's been in the hospital for two days.

Good, that antibiotic combination offers good coverage. Ideally, she should be interested in eating before she is discharged to go home. However, some pets may feel to stressed in the hospital setting to want to eat. So, there is a chance she may be discharged prior to displaying an appetite. If that is the case, I do recommend taking home some of the appetite stimulant mirtazapine (it only has to be given once every 3 days. But if her fever is not much improved by tomorrow, you may want to consider that abdominal ultrasound and pancreatitis test before she goes home.

Do you have any other concerns I can address tonight?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it's about another cat who is also in the hospital with her
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I ask about him as well?

Hi there, just got your reply. I hope Geisha improves quickly, and that my answers helped provide some insight.

As far as your questions about another cat- you have another kitty in the hospital as well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Coon started showing very early signs of renal failure in his blood work about a year ago. We put him on k/d and his numbers seemed to improve rapidly. Recently he started losing more weight, 2 pounds in the last 45 days, yet he is always eating. He was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism so we started him on methimazole 2.5mg 1/2 tablet SID. I only got two doses in him before I had to stop. He completely stopped eating, drinking, meowing or wanting to come to me. All he wanted to do was hide under the table. He even seemed disoriented and fearful.He was hospitalized where his blood work was checked as well as x-rays which all came out normal and he did not have a fever. So the vet is completely stumped as to what is going on with him either. I just brought both of my cats home but neither are anywhere near from being out of the woods... Abnominal Ultrasound next for both of them?
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian