Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 13 year of cat dx with Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy has

Customer Question

My 13 year of cat dx with Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy has been prescribed Diltiazem 7.5 mg every 8 hours, Plavix 18.75 mg once daily and Vetmedin 1.25 mg twice daily. Are these okay?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Both Atria Very dilated. All blood work perfect. heart rate and rhythm fast and irregular like tennis shoes in the dryer
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: seems tired. She also has IBD which vet thinks is from heart problem
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Skittles--female
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Just the medications I put in the first paragraph
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Skittles has been diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM); I know this must be very distressing for you both.

I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. How was she diagnosed? I assume an ultrasound was done; was she seen by a board certified cardiologist?

2. When was she diagnosed?

3. How long has she been on medication?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ultrasound was done 9/27/16
Starting all medications today
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

When HCM has been diagnosed, there are usually several medications which are started at one time depending on the severity of the condition and whether or not congestive heart failure (CHF) is present.

1. Plavix is a commonly used drug in these patients.

2. If CHF is present,

a) a diuretic such as lasix is usually prescribed.

b) An ACE inhibitor such as enalapril is commonly administered. Interestingly enough, one study suggested that neither enalapril, atenolol nor diltiazem produced a favorable survival benefit in cats in heart failure from cardiomyopathy but these drugs are often still prescribed for these patients.

c) However, Vetmedin aka pimobendan may be beneficial.

3. In cats with severe SAM (Systolic anterior motion of the mitral valve which is common in these patients), atenolol is usually administered.

To summarize, the three drugs which have been prescribed for her are ones which are routinely used for feline patients with HCM.

I hope this helps and provides other drug options to discuss with your vet. Deb