Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I got 2 kittens from the local shelter a few months ago. One

Customer Question
was 3 months, the other...
I got 2 kittens from the local shelter a few months ago. One was 3 months, the other 6 month at the time of adoption. They were not related, but both kept each other company while I was not around to play with them (which is frequent because I'm a student and a rock climber). Unfortunately, the older one died of kidney failure. She had FIP. The younger one and I are still feeling her loss; while I cry a lot, he goes completely bonkers and runs around the house and acts like a maniac. I don't blame him, he doesn't have anybody to hang out with while I'm gone. But when I'm home, I don't have time to play with him and he doesn't have a "big sister" he can play with anymore, so I'm worried he's feeling very alone. I don't want him to be depressed, but I also don't know if I can replace the cat I lost with another cat so soon after she passed... Also this kitten has the energy and tendencies of a puppy. He likes to be in the car, he plays fetch, he plays tug-o-war, he chases his tail. He's got too much energy for me to handle and he never had this much energy when she was around to knock some sense into him. She acted like his mom. I don't know what to do. Do you think he needs a new friend? Do you think I should get a puppy or a cat? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/25/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear about both of your losses here.

In regards ***** ***** energy levels and mischief, I suspect she didn't just knock sense into him but likely played enough to meet his needs for that type of mental stimulation. And without her, he is turning all that attention and energy to you. Now if your lifestyle cannot meet his needs, then we do need to consider companions for him. Since otherwise you will both likely be frustrated with one another.

Though if we were to consider another kitten (or cat <2 years of age), we'd really need to first check his coronavirus antibody titre to get an idea of whether he is a carrier for the virus. If he is, then its not ideal to bring a new young cat home until that drops. But if he is seronegative with a titer of 0, then we'd be in a position to do so. Otherwise, since he sounds like quite an active, friendly, and interactive cat; a puppy could be an option. An titre to the virus would not be an issue with bringing a pup home since it is not a virus that can spread to dogs. Of course, they do tend to need a lot of our time as well, so you do need to consider is that is a viable plan for you. As well, it'd be ideal to potentially introduce him to a puppy (ie if you have a friend or family member with one) to see how he'd feel about another species in the household before you take any drastic steps.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian