Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He ate this morning but slept all day. Now is not eating.

Customer Question
Our other cat just died...
He ate this morning but slept all day. Now is not eating. Our other cat just died 2 weeks ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Jasper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?
Customer: He is on 10u of insulin and is 14 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/24/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hi again,

I'm so sorry you did not receive an earlier answer. Different experts are online at various times and I recently logged on and was notified of your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

My heartfelt condolences on the recent loss of your other cat.

Cats grieve when they lose a companion, just as humans do, so Jasper's loss of appetite might be related to the stress he feels due to this loss. You can get a Feliway plug in diffuser to help diminish his stress/anxiety:

http://www.feliway.com/us

-------------

The fact that he's diabetic, not eating and is lethargic could be related to ketoacidosis, a side effect of metabolic imbalance that is possible with diabetes. See if his breath smells like nail polish remover; this is a sign of ketoacidosis and is an emergency. He also may be hypoglycemic (his blood sugar is too low) because his diabetic condition has changed and his insulin dosage needs to be adjusted or the brand of insulin needs to be changed.

His blood sugar should be tested (I don't know if you test at home), so it would be advisable to have him seen in person by a vet or ER vet center, now, to find out the cause of his symptoms and of course, do NOT give him any insulin if he has not eaten.

I hope you're able to have him seen as soon as possible, you will receive a diagnosis and Jasper will be feeling back to himself, very soon!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Just a quick follow-up to see how everything is going with Jasper. Did you find my answer helpful?

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist