Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat hasn't eaten in 2 days he vomited on Wednesday he is

Customer Question
an outdoor cat didn't come...
My cat hasn't eaten in 2 days he vomited on Wednesday he is an outdoor cat didn't come home for 2 days very unlike him he is a grey and white male Maine Coon 12 years old n healthy and active State Pryor got him this morning in my yard in a daze state of catatonia doesn't respond to his name and is limp struts extremely lethargically again no eye contact or response.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What did his vomit look like?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Was he stuporous or collapsed?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looked like a fireball with it was she like stomach remains from his soft canned food. I brought a bowl of water over to him in his head is staring down close to the water is knows I'm an inch from the water almost like he wanted to drink it but he's not drinking it again in a Dazed and Confused State of Mind. He is an outdoor cat and being a man Coon hunts small animals. It's very likely he could have eaten something he shouldnt have. I'm not home therefore I can't check his gums at this moment. His pupils do appear to be dilated a little bit. He can walk what is pretty much immobilized when he walks it's very slow and lethargic almost drunk like I hope this helps please respond as soon as you can

Thank you,

Now I have to say with his changes in mentation, I am quite concerned that we don't just have nausea but that we may actually have a toxicity. The sitting over the water fits with him being nauseous, as does the vomiting of course. But the other behaviors are major red flags of poisoning. Often we can see this if they get into chemicals and there are some toxic plants that also cause issue. One common toxicity that can cause them to act as you have reported, cause nausea, and damage the kidneys is antifreeze.

In this situation, I know you noted that you are not with him but I would strongly advise doing so or getting some else to get him to your vet urgently. They can assess the situation and if they confirm toxicity, IV fluids need to be started to flush it out. At the same time symptomatic care and injectable anti-nausea treatment can be used. But again these signs don't fit with our infectious concerns or benign dietary indiscretion. Instead, toxicity would be our main concern here and a situation we'd want to be proactive with at this point.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ty
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My wife is taking him to the vet right away

You are very welcome, my dear.

I do think that is best since the behavior change just raises worries of this being more serious then a gut upset or GI infection.

Best wishes for you all,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Kevin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kevin Hardy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian