Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

My cat, Blix (13 pound, 10 yr old neutered male), has a paw

Customer Question

My cat, Blix (13 pound, 10 yr old neutered male), has a paw infection. My vet open up his wound to get the pus out and put Blix on Clavamox for the infection and Onsior for pain. The vet sent Blix home with 6 tabs of Onsior, with instructions "Give 1 tablet by mouth once daily". However, I went to the official Onsior website, and they keep saying "maximum of 3 days", but they don't say why.
I hate to challenge my vet with something I read "on the internet" (even on the official website of Onsior), but I really need to get a second opinion.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Blix's troubles. Typically NSAID anti inflammatories like Onsior are labeled for a certain number of days because all NSAIDS carry a risk of gastrointestinal upset the longer they are taken. It would be like us taking unbuffered aspirin for long periods of time and developing ulcers due to it.

However, Onsior is a more selective NSAID than most so it carries less risk of GI upset. Blix is also at the upper weight limit for the one tablet a day dosage, so his risk should be even lower. Your vet must have felt that the anti inflammatory and pain relief benefits of Onsior outweighed the slight risk of GI upset and therefore decided to extend the labeled dosage.

That being said, watch Blix for any sign of GI upset. The most common signs would be a decrease or loss of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea. If any of these present, discontinue the Onsior and take him back to your vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!