Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My fifteen-year-old short-haired cat has matting hair on her

Customer Question

My fifteen-year-old short-haired cat has matting hair on her sides what can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your kitty.

A cat that develops matted hair that has never had it before makes us concerned that something else could be going on that has caused the kitty to stop grooming themselves well. This could be anything from arthritic pain to a systemic disease that is just making them feel under the weather. For this reason, I would recommend that a visit to your vet for an exam and some senior bloodwork would be in order for your kitty. While there, your vet can shave out the matted hair.

If you are trying to do something at home, that will depend on your cat's tolerance level to being groomed. Some matted hair, if the matted areas are VERY small, may be gently combed out (this takes a long time and patience on your part and your cat's part). You can use a metal pet comb and hold onto the matted fur close to the skin as you work at combing it out to avoid the fur pulling against your kitty's fur as much as possible. A detangler spray made for cats may help (you can pick one up at the pet store). Otherwise, we usually need to use clippers to shave the matted hair off. I would not recommend using scissors to try to cut the matted areas because it is VERY easy (and a common occurrence) to accidentally cut your kitty's thin skin and cause an even bigger issue!

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you received my reply and if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great. Off to the vet
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello, just checking to see how your kitty was doing?