Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can you get lice from a cat? Nothing acts like he has fleas

Customer Question

can you get lice from a cat?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Nothing acts like he has fleas but I dont see any my head starteded itiching after I got cat now I have lice
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: can cats get lice
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Actually I would not worry about the cat, there is no form of cat external parasite which can commonly affect humans, on the other hand I understand that human head lice are quite easy to catch if you are unlucky.

2. If you use something like Frontline on the cat that will effectively get rid of any external parasites the cat may have and if his or her symptoms continue beyond that you should have the cat checked over by a local vet.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning lice ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.