Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

I took my cat to the vet today for his FeLV vaccine and a

Customer Question

Hello, I took my cat to the vet today for his FeLV vaccine and a check up. The tech took his temp and left the room and when the vet came in she checked his eyes ears etc and weighed him but i don't remember her giving him his shot. She had asked if I wanted a senior blood panel done for him and then had the techs come take him back to draw blood and urine. I went back with them and watched and when they ushered me out I asked about his vaccination and the vet said she gave it to him while we were in the exam room. I am sure she didn't- his hair was not ruffed up or wet on his topside only underneath where they took blood. What do i do? Can I take him to another vet to get the vaccine? Would it harm if I am wrong (even though I am sure I am not I know I'm not infallible ) I don't want him to be unprotected
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Well, he is healthy otherwise but he is an inside outside cat and I don't want him to go without protection.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned your vet didn't give your cat the FeLV vaccine and wanted to know if re-dosing him would cause harm.

Generally speaking giving a pet double vaccines won't harm them in most cases, and at the most you will only increase the chances of causing a vaccine reaction (which mind you are more rare in cats than dogs). Although, I would still try to wait at least 2-4 weeks before considering having the vaccine given, just to give the body time to recover in case it was indeed given.

Also I would also ask the vet for your cats records. Often-times the label that was on the vaccine bottle will be on the file. This is proof that the vaccine was given, because the vet will inject your cat, then pull off the label that was on the syringe and place it in your pets records. Also unless this vet is extremely absent minded, I would trust that the vet did what they said.
Another thing to consider her is that we usually don't drench the pets skin with alcohol when giving a vaccine, so you won't see any wetness on the skin at all. Sometimes you can also feel a lump in the area where the vaccine was given.

Let me know if you have anything further you would like to discuss

- Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet