Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I started feeding an outdoor feral kitten who is now about

Customer Question

I started feeding an outdoor feral kitten who is now about 2. She always couldnt get enough to eat. She would eat and eat. Then 2 days ago she didnt show up which was very unusual, She never did that. When she did show up she came on the porch but wont eat. I tried to get her to the vet today but she wouldnt let me pick her up. I tried and tried then she went across the street under a bush. I am just worried becuase this is such a drastic change in eating. She would see my car and come running from wherever she was in the neighborhood because she knew she was going to get fed. Im really worried that she is in pain and dont know what todo
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: I was wondering too if she could be pregant. Would that cause her to be lethargic
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. The problem is that almost any disease process could cause her to be lethargic and not eat. Foreign body obstructions, liver problems, kidney problems, pancreatitis, severe anemia (usually infectious or immune system causes in a cat her age), an internal injury, pyometra (life threatening infection in the uterus - assuming she isn't spayed), an abscess from a bite or puncture wound, intestinal parasites and toxin ingestion are just a few of the more common causes. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do without getting her to the vet. If it is just a mild upset stomach from something she ate, it might pass on its own. It just seems like there is more going on than that. You can try putting a kennel outside or a trap if you can get one but put a towel over it. That might make it a more enticing place to hide. You can try a rescue organization in your area to see if they have some type of trap or means to help you get her. Worse case scenario, you can try animal control, but there is always the possibility of them euthanizing her. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how your feral kitten is doing and to see if you have further questions.