Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Sweet Pea is going on 7, and a few weeks ago she started

Customer Question
Thank you. ***** is going...
Thank you. ***** is going on 7, and a few weeks ago she started limping. Her right front paw. I contacted Just Answer and was very satisfied. They told me to get Glucose at the pet store. I didn't because she stopped limping. But now I'm noticing that she is losing weight in the hip area. Right away I'm thinking cancer, but hoping for the best.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No, she did not fall.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sweet Pea, and she is as sweet as her name.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sweet?
Customer: She loves cookies...I hope that's not hurting her...she eats a lot..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/16/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about your girl. I like how her name is ***** ***** her personality. I wouldn't go right away to cancer as the absolute cause for her to be losing weight. It is on the list of rule outs, that can't be denied. But, could there be other issues that can cause weight loss too? Absolutely! When I have a cat her age losing weight, the things that I'm initially suspicious of are hyperthyroidism, diabetes, chronic renal disease and cancer. These are initially the most common. The cancer is one that I typically think of though with older ones than her. What would be best is a trip to your vet as they can use a physical exam and blood tests to determine if any of the first three are present. The hyperthyroidism and the diabetes have specific therapy that can be utilized for them. Could she have a bowel inflammatory issue? This would be a suspicion if she was having chronic loose stools or vomiting. Could it be a dietary situation? Just not eating the calories needed? Could it be intestinal parasitism? These are other things that they can screen for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thank you, ***** ***** I will bring her to the vet. When she was limping I was told to give her glucose. What is that for?

I'm very, very sorry for my delay as something unexpected on my side pulled me away until now. Glucose is basically an oral sugar given to help raise possible low blood sugar levels. This is something that I will utilize with hypoglycemic young kittens and puppies or older dogs and cats that are having issues regulating blood glucose when they are on insulin for diabetes. It really shouldn't have any affect on a limping situation. As far as the losing of the weight, increasing calories being consumed could help with the weight being lost.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian