Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

What do I feed my cat who has leukemia? He started throwing

Customer Question
what do I feed my...
what do I feed my cat who has leukemia?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: He started throwing up every morning about 3:30 AM took him to the vet and he said the cat got around too many chemicals and has leukemia...tried to feed him al sorts of food even an special one at the vet...I need to find out how can I put weight back on him again?
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mr. Tom Bo age 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr. Tom Bo?
Customer: that he had this problem last year around the same time but the Vet helped him...pumped him full of fluids..put him on an expensive hard car food and them when he got better I just switched cat food..he gets IAMS or Science Diet...no crappy food
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/13/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Leukemia in cats is actually caused by a virus, not chemicals. I would confirm that is what your vet said because there may have been some miscommunication there. There are no special diets for cats with leukemia. They can eat whatever a cat without leukemia can eat. If he is vomiting a lot, then a bland diet or a hypoallergenic diet may be best for him. Your vet should have a prescription diet that fits either one of those. To start, boneless, skinless chicken breast is a good option and very bland for an upset stomach. If you are trying to put some weight on him, I would add some rice to that mixture as well. That should only be temporary, though, since it is not a balanced and complete diet. Switching him to a prescription geriatric or kidney diet may help to promote better weight management. An active adult cat diet or even a kitten diet may help as far as OTC diets go. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Mr Tom Bo is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian