Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat was sent home from the vet and now he's sneezing what

Customer Question

My cat was sent home from the vet and now he's sneezing what can I dou
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What was he at the vet for?

Any nasal discharge? What color?

Any congestion or coughing?

Any difficulty breathing or paling of his gums?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He was at the vet because he has constipation problems and they had to give him enemas so therefore they had to clean him because he was dirty on his butt end but they sent him home from his waist down was soaking wet and now he's got cold no discharge he just sneezes a lot

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now these signs aren't likely related to the enemas but the stress of that could certainly have triggered a mild cat flu flare-up for Billy Joel.

Therefore, we’d want to start some supportive care for him just now. Of course, if you do see any snotty discharges, then we’d need his vet to start antibiotics here.

To start, to relieve the sneezing and associated congestion for him, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam tents’ with the kitty in their carrier, a humidifier, and a light bed sheet over both to make a little steam room for him.

If he sounds congested and is potentially building up mucus within his nostrils that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses) but not anything medicated. Tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Furthermore, keeping our kitties eating is important, as cats with upper airway issues that can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if you do see any appetite loss eat , do try tempting him with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it. If he were to refuse food all together, then we may need to consider syringe feeding him.

Overall, it does sound like poor Billy Joel has a bit of cat flu. Therefore, we’d want to start the above and keep a close eye just now. Though if you do see him start to feel poorly with this or develop a runny nose, then we'd want him to be checked by his vet and antibiotics dispensed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is a very hard cat to deal with they have to sedate him and I had to work on him so giving him any medication in his nose is out of the question have a very tiny bathroom no shower I could just run the tub water and the sink water and keep them in there which will be on the also probably because he's going to freak thank you for your suggestions but I don't know what I'm going to do now

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Do try steam treating him, as they often do not find that stressful. Otherwise, as this sounds viral, its a case of supportive care as much as you can and helping his immune system fight this off. Though if he does develop signs of bacterial infection, you can request his vet use a long acting antibiotic injection to avoid having to give tablets.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is the reason he's like this I'm not going back to those stupid people anymore

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

That is fine, as it sounds viral you don' t need to. Though if you see snotty discharge down the line, he will need antibiotics and need to be seen by a different vet. To find an alternative one just in case,you can check http://www.vetlocator.com/

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Billy Joel. How is everything going?

Dr. B.