Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has had runny eyes (clear fluid), stuffy nose (no

Customer Question

My cat has had runny eyes (clear fluid), stuffy nose (no discharge) and sneezing for a the entire summer. I took him to the vet and they gave him a 10 antibiotic show which honestly did not touch the symptoms. He has not run a fever and the symptoms have not changed (no worse/no better). I also tried 1/4 of a 10 mg zertec and that helps a little but when it wears off he gets stuffy and eyes water all over again. I am thinking an allergy but cannot figure out to what. This is an indoor cat and lives only with me. He has never been outside but does enjoy the outside at open windows and my screen door. I am at my whits end and the vet thus far has not been any help. Oh my cat is 2 years old. Any suggestions as to what might be going on?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

If antibiotics did not help, but Zyrtec did, this probably is related to allergies. It could be to pollen, dust, mold, any airborne allergen. You could have allergy testing done to be sure that is the problem.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

You could continue the Zyrtec or try a different antihistamine. You could try nose drops made for children such as Little Noses, 1 drop in each nostril once or twice daily. For his runny eyes you could try Terramycin eye ointment which is available without prescription except in California.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is he doing? Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ruth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?