Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a skin issue on her belly and my vet had no idea

Customer Question
what it could be....
My cat has a skin issue on her belly and my vet had no idea what it could be. She was given an antibiotic shot, cream to apply as needed, and has to wear the cone. It's been 4 days and I'm not seeing a lot of improvement. I have pictures if it's possile to share them. I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on what it is, and if we're treating it properly. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/3/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to thoroughly read your question.

Please post the pictures. That would be very helpful.

Are you having difficulty posting the pictures?

Thank you for the pictures. Nice that you have them from initial and then 4 days later. So there is minor improvement. The injectable antibiotic she received is a repository antibiotic that stays in the system for 7 to 10 days. I would probably stop the topical quadritop ointment. It really gums up their hair and then with an e-collar she can't groom herself. It is an anti inflammatory and may not be doing very much. Can you clean the area with a gentle soap? It does not look like a pustule, so bacterial infection is not as likely. Is it only one site? Was she licking at it quite a bit before the e-collar? And how long has it been there?

When I see skin lesions in a cat, I worry about fleas, mites and ringworm. Do your vet to a skin scrape or a DTM culture for ringworm?

She is a young cat, but we can still see mast cell tumors too. An aspirate would tell us what cells are present and fine tune possibilities.

Sorry, Did your vet do a skin scrape or DTM culture.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No skin scrape or a DTM culture. I was concerned about ringworm too, but the vet didn't seem to be. Both my cats are strictly indoor only. The spot started small, I noticed her grooming it about 2 weeks ago. It didn't seem excessive and I thought maybe she'd be ok. It got progressively large, around dime size now. It's on her rear belly, just past where the last nipple is. In fact, at first I though it was the nipple. No other spots on her anywhere, and my other cat is unaffected. I can definitely clean it with gentle soap and water. I just hate the cone. I imagine it bothers me more than her, but I know she'd love to groom herself. And I did take it off once, and she went right for the spot. It looks like it flaking away some. It is flat and not any warmer to touch than her body elsewhere. Thank you for you advice so far. Anything you can offer is appreciated.

My thoughts if it does not completely resolve in a week. Initial skin scrape, a DTM culture (for ringworm) and a fine needle aspirate are good starting points to diagnose. differentials being: ringworm, allergic reaction (food allergy, bug bite, environmental allergies), demodecosis (pretty unlikely), mast cell tumor, eosinophilic granuloma. IF you do not get answers from those diagnostics, then I would have a biopsy submitted to a dermatopathologist (not a regular pathologist, this needs to be specifically requested when set out). The biopsy should give you your answer if you get to that point. Washing the area and then doing a warm compress will likely make her feel better. I am not a big fan of ointments on cats because they just seem to get stuck in their hair and make them more uncomfortable. Please ask any follow up questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you so much! I will follow up with them Tuesday if it isn't resolved.

Your welcome. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. Take care.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian