Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I took my cat to the vet this morning because she had an

Customer Question

Hi, I took my cat to the vet this morning because she had an ingrown nail that was embedded into her pad, upon checking her over now I have discovered some of the nail is still protruding from the pad, should this be the case?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Oh dear!

This isn't normal and should not be protruding. When we clip these nails, we need to pull that embedded bit from the pad to avoid pain, healing issues, and infection risk. So, this needs to be removed for her. You may need to pop her back to the vet so they can do that for her +/- dispense pain relief if she is still sore with this. Otherwise, if you have someone who can hold her and you feel confident, this can be removed at home by using a pair of forceps (be safe though since this can be sore and kitties can be upset by us removing these). Of course, with this being an open wound, we'd want to follow up with soaking this 2-3 times daily with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) to just head off infection as she heals.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Amy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, everything is going well. I managed to retrieve the nail myself the night I emailed you. She seems to be doing fine, am just wiping it with a little bit of betadine each day
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Grand!

I am glad to hear that you could remove it and hopefully we can just get that healed up without any more issue.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )