Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She's drinking a lot of water and meowing when I try to

Customer Question
handle her she's about 15...
She's drinking a lot of water and meowing when I try to handle her she's about 15 years old any ideas
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: She's meowing when I try to handle her and drinking a lot of water
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Hard to say because cats mask there pain so well but I've noticed her walking very gingerly
JA: Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No not to my knowledge I considered a urinary infections on account of all the trips to the water dish
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Amber
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Amber?
Customer: She's 15 yo and been in good health although recently see lost one of her front canines
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/1/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No pre existing condition, she's walking gingerly and I noticed her licking her backside a lot yesterday, she meows when I try to handle her and her water consumption is higher than normal. I checked her litter box saw stool but not much urine. Thoughts

1- Is she spayed?

2- What area in her back side is she licking, the anus or vulva?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she's spayed and looks like anus

Does she have diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Stool looks normal no blood or anything like that

Thank you for answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Friend, her being vocal or not allowing you to handle is common when a cat is not feeling well. The big question here is: Why is she drinking more than usual? You see, when a cat drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection (as you suspected), hormonal disorders (diabetes, hyperthyroidism), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Unfortunately, on history we can not determine the exact underlying cause as so many diseases have the same symptoms, I am sorry. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. For example, if this is related to an infection she will be started on antibiotics, if this is related to diabetes she will need insulin, etc. Unfortunately, not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian