Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat was given depo and covenia for a rash. He's not even

Customer Question

My cat was given depo and covenia for a rash. He's not even two. I wasn't informed of other options and looked up the covenia when I got home. I am freaking out. I don't want my cat to have the serious adverse reactions including death. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about to?
Customer: He just got it a couple of hours ago. I want to help him survive this
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I understand how easy it is to be alarmed by the horror stories but please note that cefovecin (Convenia) appears to be well tolerated in cats. Pre-market studies in cats found no significant increases in adverse effect types or rates when compared with control. The most common adverse effects in decreasing order of frequency in cats are anorexia, depression/lethargy, and vomiting. Yes, hypersensitivity reactions such as the deadly anaphylaxis have been reported but such a reaction would have occurred by now. There's nothing to be done. This drug can persist in the body for up to 65 days so be on the lookout for adverse reactions which can be treated symptomatically and supportively by his vet. There's a very good chance that such care isn't going to be necessary.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has autoimmune problems.

Thank you. There's no correlation between autoimmune problems and dosing with this cephalosporin antibiotic. The methylprednisolone should be protective against a severe hypersensitivity reaction in any event. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not that it causes autoimmune problems, he already has autoimmune problems. That's why he gets the rash.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I give him probiotics or something to help

Yes, I understood. Let me clarify: We have no evidence that this antibiotic can exacerbate an existing autoimmune disorder. Most any drug, however, can do so and so I prefer to limit drugs to those absolutely necessary when I medicate my patients with autoimmune disorders. Probiotics may be of value should the Convenia cause gastrointestinal distress...and the cephalosporins as a class can do so as I mentioned above ("...common adverse effects in decreasing order..."). Unfortunately, once injected into a patient, it can't be removed. You can only watch for adverse effects and have them attended to promptly should they arise.