Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat went outside early this morning and we heard growling

Customer Question

My cat went outside early this morning and we heard growling and such and now his pupils are remaining dilated, his breathing is shallow and he acts like he doesn't feel good. No cuts or bite marks anywhere.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** and I am a licensed small animal veterinarian, are you online so I can ask you some additional questions?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I would be concerned with the dilated pupils(mydriasis) that it is possible you cat could have been exposed to a toxin of some sort, have you or your neighbors recently dewormed their cats or dogs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

What is your kitties name? How is the breathing now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I do phone calls at this time, I can put the case out for other veterinarians is you which to talk by phone, or we can continue to talk via chat

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I cannot do phone calls is what I meant to say*

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I would also be concerned for other issues such as neurological trauma, or other toxins such as ivermectin(a dewormer), or antifreeze or brometalin(rat poison). How is your kitty doing currently? Are the pupils still dilated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a lag in receiving your messages. My cat's name is ***** ***** is a blue point Siamese, 3 years old and very healthy. I don't have neighbors that let their dogs run free and am in a gated community. I also began toilet training him a couple of weeks ago and just removed his litter box. He had been defecating on the insert, but now I think he may be constipated. I haven't had to clean it in a few days. I assumed my husband had, but he told me he hadn't.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Based on the symptoms that you are describing(dilated pupils and shallow breathing) after being outside and the possible constipation, I would recommend to contact your veterinarian as I would suspect they would want to see him right away

Is he current on his vaccines such as rabies, and FVRCP?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Also dilated pupils could be the results of something serious going on with the eyes or even high blood pressure.